Back in 2000, Eminem released “Stan” — a song written about an overly obsessive fan named Stan –
Over the decade and a half since the song dropped, “stan” slowly became a word fanbases used to describe their devotion to a public figure.
And now, it looks like “stan” isn’t going to go ANYWHERE, as Oxford Dictionaries just added the word to its database:
The entry properly sources Eminem as the origin of the word…
Early 21st century: probably with allusion to the 2000 song “Stan” by the American rapper Eminem, about an obsessed fan.
- ‘I admit I used to stan for Mariah when I was eight.’
- ‘I can’t believe this woman has people stanning for her.’
- ‘I don’t care what anyone says, that performance proves why I have stanned for this man since 1998.’
- ‘He’s the only gay man not stanning for Beyonce.’
- ‘I have stanned for Korean pop groups for the longest time, sadly without much success.’
- ‘I stan for my authors.’ ~ Shadow Girl